Pilates for Hip Pain
What is hip pain?
Hip pain is any discomfort experienced in the hip girdle - the area of your body where the top of the thigh intersects with the body. Hip pain can range from the low back through the groin down through your thighs. Hip pain can range from a dull ache to an intense, throbbing pain. Hip pain is a common problem that points to an underlying chronic problem in the hip joint. These problems include arthritis, bursitis, sciatica and muscle strains.
What are some common symptoms of hip pain?
- Pain in one or both hips while walking or exercising
- Dull aching in the hips while resting or sleeping
- Swelling or redness around the hips or thighs
- Inability to bend at the hip joint
- Low back pain and stiffness
- Pain that persists longer than a few days
Prominent postural symptoms:
- One hip is higher than the other
- One shoulder is higher than the other
- Leaning towards and favoring one side of the body
- Anterior pelvic tilt (pelvis rotated forward and down)
Why is hip pain important to manage and correct?
By managing your hip pain, you will not only alleviate your chronic discomfort but also address the root cause of your hip problem. This will impede further pain in the body, prevent surgery and increase strength and vitality in your daily life.
What can the Body Gallery do to help?
Pilates will improve the strength, flexibility and suppleness of the muscles in the hip girdle. These are all key components to having healthy hips. During your sessions, you will also work on stabilizing your core. Correcting your posture through the use of your deep core muscles - your abs, back and pelvic floor - will help your body move more freely and your hips to relax. With your body properly aligned, you will feel healthier, experience less pain and have increased energy in your day-to-day life.
Trusha Apolinario specializes in working with clients who have hip pain. She is a hands-on trainer who is inspired to help each of her clients flourish and live a pain-free life. Though hip pain can feel crippling, it doesn't have to continue forever. Pilates can help you take the first step to a long and vital life.